Origin of Yoga Day
Yoga is the origin in India and it is 5000 years old physical, mental and spiritual practice. June 21st as the International Yoga Day declared by United Nations General Assembly on 11 December 2014.
The declaration took place after the call of adoption of June 21st as International Day of Yoga by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He said in UNGA speech that “Yoga is a priceless gift of India’s earlier tradition. It embodies the unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfillment, harmony between man and nature; a holistic approach to health and well-being. It is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with yourself; the world and nature. By changing our lifestyle and creating consciousness, it can help in well-being. Let us work towards adopting an International Yoga Day.
Many people proposed the idea of celebrating World Yoga Day but among them the major call by international humanitarian and meditation, yoga guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar in December 2011. After the adoption of UN resolution, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar said that “it is very difficult for any religion or culture to survive without state support. Now the official adoption by UN further spread the benefit of Yoga worldwide”.
The resolution co-sponsored by 175 nations including the USA, Canada, and China. International Yoga Day had the highest number of co-sponsored ever for any UNGA resolution. It celebrates to know people benefit of practicing yoga regularly. Yoga helps in better physical, mental and intellectual health.
Objectives behind International Yoga Day
- Through yoga, people get used to meditation
- To let know people about natural benefits of yoga
- Decrease the health-related disease all over the world
- Help people to get relief from stress through yoga.
- To build up global coordination among people through yoga.
- While practicing yoga make people aware physical and mental disease and its solutions
- Regular yoga practice will help to control the health challenges
- To draw attention of people all over the world towards benefits of yoga